Tuesday, September 28, 2010

of heroes and history


It was around 1970 when my dad and his family moved to Sampaloc, Manila when his father Judge Lorenzo Tecson of San Miguel, Bulacan died. And ever since I can remeber every November 1, we would always go to San Miguel, Bulacan to visit my grandfather and my great grandfather's (Pablo who has the same name as my Tito Toto, my dad's brother) graves.

"Light a candle and pray", my dad would often urge me, and of course as a child I followed my dad I would walk up a mausoleum with our last name written on it and the grave beside my great grandfather they said was his wife but not my grandmother.

I guess I never understood during that time the whole scheme of things, until I stumbled upon a Tecson facebook page and learned my history. My great grandfather was Col. Pablo Tecson, a soldier who defended the Philippines during the Spanish war. He and his brother Simon were significant figures in the Malolos Convention in 1898. My lolo was a hero.

I was cool with it, no biggie until someone who was an acquaintance (really cute guy) asked for my full name and uttered, Tecson? are you related to Pablo Tecson the hero? I gave him my megawatt smile and said YES! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment